Skip to content
Edit a file with vim
- open the file with vim filename
- Go to Insert mode press “i”
- Update the file content.
- Press ESC then write :wq to save and quit the editor
Copy or Cut and Paste a Line in Vim
- Bring your cursor to the line you want to copy
- Press yy and line will be copied or Press dd to cut a line
- Bring your cursor to the line where you want to paste
- Press p and line will be pasted there.
Find and Replace in Vim
- Press ESC then perform the following
- %s here represents whole file you can also specify :5,6s it will only search and replace in line from 5 to 6.
- /g represents replacing of all the occurrences of a string. If you don’t specify /g it will only replace the first occurrence.
Search / Find in Vim
- Press ESC then type :/findword hit enter.
- After performing above you can go to the next occurrence of that word by pressing n and to perform reverse search hit N.
Navigating in file using VIM
- Press ESC the G to go to the end of the file.
- Press ESC then gg to go to the top of the file.
- ESC then :se nu then hit enter to show line number of the file.
- ESC then :[number] to go to that particular line. [number] represents the line number here.
- h move one character to the left
- l move one character to right
- j moves one line upwards
- k moves one line downwords